Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Classroom Crafts: File Cabinet Makeover

I feel like I did a thousand DIY projects for my classroom this summer. Okay maybe not a thousand, but a lot, which means I spent a lot of time there this summer! I also did some fixer upper things, like painting nasty bookshelves black. I'm picky about having a cute classroom, not just for the kids, but also for me. After all, I have to be in there every day too.

I don't even have a "before" picture, but I had an UGLY grey file cabinet in my room. Firstly it was boring, and secondly it was "bulldog grey" which is the exact same color as the walls. After painting 3 large bookshelves, and a podium, I so was not about to paint the file cabinet too (plus I didn't want to buy more paint).

I had seen tons of file cabinet makeovers on pinterest that I loved, but the whole thing about that was that every cabinet is different, so tutorials weren't all that possible. Figuring  out how to get the harware off without breaking it was challenging, but possible.

I picked simple black and white scrapbook paper (so I could leave the cabinet gray) and I spray pained the handles black. After mod podging on the paper, and reattaching the harware I used some leftover turquoise paint for the center squares.

In the end, I went from hating my cabinet to it being one of my favorite parts of my room!
More classroom crafts coming in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment