Sunday, November 24, 2013

Baby Shower Bonanza!

I've gone to a lot of baby showers in the past few years. We've had several family babies and I've reached the age where a few of my friends have started to have kids. For baby showers, I limit myself to around $25, which can be tough. Let's be honest, even if you're shopping at Wal-Mart that can buy you an outfit and a pack of diapers, or a bunch of really little stuff.

The little stuff is often necessary, but it just doesn't look good coming out of a gift bag, so I've started upping my presentation, and I've become known for my diaper cakes. They stay in my price range and the mommies love them, here's a look at 3 of my favorites!

This was the first Diaper cake I ever made. I made it for my friend Brooke, who was expecting a boy. This cake includes: 50 diapers, baby washcloths, baby nail care set, teething ring and a rubber duck. The frogs you see are wooden and like the ribbon is purely decorative.

I made this cake for my friend Kaela, who as you can guess was expecting a girl. once again the butterflies are decorative, but this cake includes: 50 diapers, baby washcloths, baby nail care set, hair bows barrettes, flower barrettes, a teething ring and a rubber duck.

 This is the most recent cake I've made, for my cousin Becky who was expecting a girl. Once again I used 50 diapers and a pack of baby washcloths. I also bought a Johnson & Johnson travel kit, a teething ring and hair bows to stick in the cake. The topper is a hippo rattle.

I typically use rubber bands to bundle the diapers in groups of 4, and then bundle them again as I'm creating the layers. I stick a dowel rod down the middle for stability, and it becomes really solid. I always think about creating and painting a cardboard base for the bottom, but it's yet to happen! They've gone over pretty well anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment