Friday, November 29, 2013

We all have a song that somehow stamped our lives: DIY Lyric Art

It's true, sometimes hearing a certain song can really evoke a memory. Maybe the lyrics remind you of a person, maybe it's the song you and your best friend sang into hairbrushes growing up, or maybe it was the song that the band was playing when you saw your first love from across the room. Memories can be easily tied to a melody.

That's how it is for me. So many moments in my life are tied to song, or maybe it's that so many songs are tied to a moment in my life. Regardless, there are a lot of songs that hold a special place in my heart.

I probably would have never blogged about this DIY project I made, but I posted it to my Pinterest and it's seemed to get a lot of love, so why not? When I was in college I bought this gorgeous Mizzou print off Etsy. I love it, not only is my Alma Mater in the center, but my little bitty hometown is somewhere on there too!
Is my flash blinding you? Sorry, laziness prevented me from getting a better shot in my terribly lit living room!
It was actually this print that helped me decide to make yellow the accent color in my living room. When I bought that frame at Hobby Lobby, they were having a buy ,1 get one half off promotion, so I bought two, because why not? It all worked out perfect when I needed one frame on each side of a floral canvas (left over fabric from throw pillows) above my TV.

But, really the question was, what would I put in the frame. I scoured Etsy for hours and came to the conclusion that I really wasn't going to find anything that I liked. So at that point I started trying to design some art myself. I created a beautiful sign with a quote from, "The Great Gatsby" and another with wise words of wisdom from Albus Dumbledore. Neither seems to balance out the Mizzou print though.

At that point, I kid you not, maybe it was fate. "Springsteen" by Eric Church came on my iTunes. Of course it's catchiest part is "funny how a melody sounds like a memory," which I totally believe connects to my life. My friends younger sister at one point (maybe still) had that quote on her wall surrounded in CDs, but my vision had those lyrics in front, backed by songs in a much smaller font. So I played around until I came up with this.
Taking a screenshot from my computer prevented me from blinding you with another flash!
Yes, some of those songs are laughable. I do have a memory tied to Afroman's "Colt 45" and "Country Grammar" by Nelly will always me my brother's and my song. I'm sure that at some point I'll feel the need to update this and add a few songs. I've actually already thought of one I forgot, but for now, I love this print opposite the Mizzou one!

2 comments:

  1. Was brought to your page from Pinterest and I LOVE the picture frame with all the songs. Can I ask how you got "funny how a melody sounds like a memory" on there? Is it printed on glass, or did you write it over the lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's over top of the songs. So when I created it on my computer I did the songs in grey and then but "funny how a Melony sounds like a memory" in black :)

      Delete