Thursday, November 7, 2013

Beautiful Mistakes

When I started revamping my bedroom, I did endless searches for "gold decor" all over the internet. I was looking for something simple and classy, that wouldn't cost me a ton to make. I came across these pretty canvases at Retro Ranch Renovation.
I loved that they seemed so simple to make, and while Gabbi at RRR used 12x12 canvases, I had some 6x6 canvases that I had never used laying around.

I don't have pictures of the fiasco, but man, my canvases did not turn out well. I wanted mine to be white and gold, My initial thought was that it would be great because I'd only have to paint one color. What I did not think about was the fact that it meant the gold stripes would be like the blue- not connected. With the white background they just looked unfinished and ugly and I was ready to throw them out. In an attempt to save them I painted them all gold (Using the same Krylon paint I used for my lamps) and put them aside to figure out what to do with them.
After thinking about it for a while, these became my inspiration, which is funny to say- because my finished product looks nothing like it!

I knew I wanted bows, but wasn't crazy about the initial. I also wanted to stay away from chevron. I'm all about the chevron in my living room, but I wasn't crazy about carrying it into my bedroom. I bought some white ribbon and really just started playing around until I created something I liked. I'm pretty impressed with the final product!


Plus they look really great with my newly refinished lamps! I'm thinking about trimming the lampshades with the same ribbon I used on these canvases!



No comments:

Post a Comment